Hot, humid Hawaii was paradise except for one small thing. Bugs. The little creepy crawlers were every where. You couldn't walk down the street at night without watching where you were stepping because you might just be smashing a bug. Centipedes were everywhere and would come into the house if they had the chance. Once, my Mother found a centipede in the kitchen on the wall above the kitchen sink. She turned on the water and the garbage disposal and knocked the centipede into the sink with a broom. He instantly became ground centipede.
Scorpions were also prevalent. Scorpions in Hawaii were poisonous, but in most cases their sting just made a person very sick; they were not considered deadly. One night I came into my bedroom and laid down on my bed. As I put my head on my pillow, I looked down my nose and noticed there was a scorpion on my pillow, just inches from my nose. I jumped out of bed screaming, knocking down the television next to my bed as I jumped. Bob came running in and knocked the scorpion off of my pillow and onto the floor, then killed it. The TV was broken and non repairable.
Besides centipedes and scorpions, there was a praying mantis who lived on our back porch. We left him alone since he stayed outside. Mosquito's and roaches were everywhere also. My record for the number of mosquito bites I received while in Hawaii was sixty seven bites.
My family all went to Waimea Falls one day. I chose to stay home and go to the pool. While touring the falls, my Mother was bitten relentlessly by bugs (she wasn't sure what they were). She had a terrible allergic reaction and had to call the doctor. He prescribed Benedryl, which made my Mother act like she was intoxicated. For a day or two my Mother had to take the Benedryl, which affected her speech and actions. All of us kids were amused by the way she acted, we all thought it was hilarious to see her this way as she was always so serious. The more "out of it" she was, the more we laughed. After that my Mother tried to stay indoors or if she did go out she tried to use insect repellent.